Friday 9 November 2012

Doing More of the Scary Stuff!!

After writing this blog for a few weeks now and becoming more and more comfortable about sharing it with the people around me I’ve come to a cool realization:The more you do something that scares you the less scary it becomes. The first step is the hardest.

It’s cliché I know, but it’s true. I hesitated for a long time before I started writing the blog. I wasn’t sure what purpose it would serve, would it be any good, what exactly I wanted to accomplish with it, and would it even interest people? The answers to these questions are still not clear, but I decided to not let that stop me from doing something I always wanted to do.

If I waited to get the answers to these questions before writing my first blog post I never would have gotten started. We are never 100% ready to start something that scares us, but if we don’t start at some point we never will.

It’s like the Montreal-New York City Challenge, if I waited to get more in shape or run at a sprinter’s speed I never would have embarked on this journey. The same can be applicable to all fears. If you fear exercise and you wait to get in shape you’ll never start. If you want to lose weight, but fear the stress it’ll put on your life you’ll just end up eating more.

Everything is a choice – especially when it comes to facing our fears. The key is to decide to focus on the positive impacts of facing our fears rather than the potential pitfalls. And honestly, life is much more fun when you focus on the positive impacts.

I feared the judgment of writing this blog (and let’s not kid ourselves I still fear it), but if I never chanced it I would never know the joy of knowing that even one person is reading me!

I dare you to do something that scares you today! Don’t think about it, just do it! Step out of your box. How does it feel?

No comments:

Post a Comment